Around 710 A.D., St. Fergus established a church near the site of the present building.
That first church would have been of typical, Celtic style, mud and wattle construction. “Environmentally friendly” long before the term was probably thought of.
A more sturdy structure made from stone was dedicated in 1242 and replaced about 1790. Since then, the church interior was “remodelled” and renovated in 1934 with the Chancel built then and the Pulpit moved from the south wall to its present position.
Another past resident of Glamis was Margaret Bridie, reputed to have been the creator of the famous Forfar Bridie.
The Strathmore Aisle is the oldest part of the present church. The wife of the first Lord Glamis ordered its construction in 1459 for her late husband. When she died, she was buried alongside her husband. Strictly speaking, the Aisle is a “mortuary chapel” and stood apart from the church.
In 1971, the Reverend Dr. Henderson and congregation restored the Strathmore Aisle after it had been derelict for quite some time. Only then was it connected to the church.
Map appears courtesy of and is the © copyright of Ordnance Survey
This website designed by and all photographs are the © copyright of
Bob Douglas unless otherwise stated.