St. Fergus Kirk of Glamis

Picture Of St. Fergus Kirk, Glamis Transparent GIF Map Showing Glamis Village

Around 710 A.D., St. Fergus established a church near the site of the present building.

That first church would have been of typical, Celtic style, mud and wattle construction. "Environmentally friendly" long before the term was probably thought of.

A more sturdy structure made from stone was dedicated in 1242 and replaced about 1790. Since then, the church interior was "remodelled" and renovated in 1934 with the Chancel built then and the Pulpit moved from the south wall to its present position.

The cemetery has a number of interesting grave stones. The oldest has the date 1607 carved on it. Also, "Bonnie Dundee's" rent collector or factor is buried here.

The 19th century botanist Thomas Drummond once lived with his wife and family in Glamis village. He was born in Inverarity, baptised and married in Inverarity Kirk not far from here.

Another past resident of Glamis was Margaret Bridie, reputed to have been the creator of the famous Forfar Bridie.

The Strathmore Aisle is the oldest part of the present church. The wife of the first Lord Glamis ordered its construction in 1459 for her late husband. When she died, she was buried alongside her husband. Strictly speaking, the Aisle is a "mortuary chapel" and stood apart from the church.

In 1971, the Reverend Dr. Henderson and congregation restored the Strathmore Aisle after it had been derelict for quite some time. Only then was it connected to the church.

Map appears courtesy of and is the © copyright of Ordnance Survey

This website designed by and all photographs are the © copyright of Bob Douglas unless otherwise stated.

Fairtrade support badge 9b PNG Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Validated by HTML Validator (based on Tidy)

[Top of page]
Transparent GIF