Inverarity Kirk

Picture Of Inverarity Kirk Transparent GIF Map Showing Inverarity

There has been a church at Inverarity for quite some time before this one was built in 1754. It replaced a church, very near to the present Kinnettles, at Kirkton just a few miles to the west.

When the "move" took place, apparently some of the tombstones "moved" as well. Both areas are still farming communities and the cemetery, like many dating back to those early years, has gravestones with pictorial "job" descriptions of those buried there.

Scottish relatives of Dame Nellie Melba who farmed nearby are buried here. Likewise, the family of Peter Smith who left these shores for South Africa and wealth from mining.

Peter Van der Ghein cast the church bell in 1614. Like many rural Kirks, the bell is rung from outside the church.

St. Buite is the patron saint of Inverarity Kirk. He was linked to the now ruined Abbey of Coupar Angus in Perthshire.

Continuing the rich Pictish/Celtic heritage of this area, a cross slab was found on Alan Cant's farm at nearby Kirkbuddo. This can be seen in the Meffan Museum in Forfar's West High Street along with some other locally found stones.

The 19th century botanist Thomas Drummond was born in Inverarity, baptised and married in Inverarity Kirk. He once lived with his wife and family in Glamis village not far from here.

Map appears courtesy of and is the © copyright of Ordnance Survey

This website designed by and all photographs are the © copyright of Bob Douglas unless otherwise stated.

Fairtrade support badge 9b PNG Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Validated by HTML Validator (based on Tidy)

[Top of page]
Transparent GIF