This is the only part of the present church which existed before 1790.
It was built in 1459 by Isabella Ogilvy at the time of the death of her husband, Patrick Lyon, the first Lord Glamis.
When she died, she was buried alongside her husband.
Strictly speaking, the Strathmore Aisle is a “mortuary chapel” and originally stood apart from the church.
The Aisle has a “barrel-vaulted” roof with “badges” of the lion of Glamis and the impaled (standing) lion of Ogilvy seen at several points in the chapel.
On the east wall is the “Sacrament House”. Consecrated elements were placed and kept here by the priest though it is not the probable original position.
Around the stonework of the door, you will find markings made by stonemasons.
In 1971, the Reverend Dr. Henderson and congregation restored the Strathmore Aisle after it had been derelict for quite some time.
It was not connected to the present church until then.
Mary, Dowager Countess of Strathmore, commissioned the stained glass window in memory of her late husband, Fergus, 17th Earl of Strathmore and the marriage of their daughter, Lady Diana Bowes Lyon.
The Aisle has recently had a new carpet fitted as can be seen in the pictures.
This website designed by and all photographs are the © copyright of
Bob Douglas unless otherwise stated.